Sunday, May 2, 2010

Ye Olde Taman Desa road ride...

Ah, what memories like memories... from 1990. Took a ride out the old road route of Taman desa, water park, taman seputih areas.
I remember when these routes would drain my lungs with its "long" 600m climbs...
Alas, I remember when good ol' Kim would train me and coax me on..."cmon ... abit more... !", and I would struggle with my last bit of breath, like a fish out of water...pedal my way up the road. Thanks Kim!
Had some time to kill when my son went there for his seasonal basketball tourney. It wasn't a major game, since his team was already 1st on the leader board, so I decided that I needed my own little exercise after a bad bout of flu and last weeks pathetic 3km-and-died ride. So, thought it was a good plan to start where it all began some 10 years ago!
I've come a long way now... Hate to say this Kim, but this time I think I'll be the one with the "cmon... abit more!".
The route, much easier now, is still one of the best routes for a get-fit-quick rider. It is undulating, tarmac, and not so many cars, with some nice climbs. A few sprints up and down these climbs will do amazing things to your fitness level. But watch your heart rate tho...push too hard and you'll be pushed on a cart to the nearby Desa hospital.
Well, suffice to say... for me... it was a trip down memory lane while I quickly try to get fit for a big ride coming up in the Ipoh Jamboree end of this May; a full 45km off road trail!
"C'mon Kim... get off that excel butt and come along with me!... There's extra space in the car for 2 bikes and 2 riders!"

No comments: